☸ GOLD MEDAL ☸
Fastest Time: 9:59
Stragglers Returned: 85%
Cows Herded: 15
After a long and troublesome adventure it's finally time to see the Marston family again. The ranch has some assembly required.
+50 Fame, up to +350 Honor
Welcome back Marston
John looks around Beecher's Hope in search of his family. Wife Abigail appears from the ranch house to John's delight - until she begins hitting him. After a small chat son Jack comes over to a warm embrace. After all John has been through they are finally in his arms again. Jack says all of their chickens are dead and cattle were stolen. John forgives him as Uncle approaches. Uncle runs his mouth off to John about not being to blame but John won't hear any of it. John tells Jack to pack a bag for the morning. They'll need to get cattle from the MacFarlane's.
You sure got a lot of questions
At the crack of dawn John gets ready to head out while Abigail sleeps. Outside the house, go over to Jack by the barn. John will tell him to move out. Get on your horse and for once you get to lead the way. Head to MacFarlane's Ranch with Jack following. Along the way father and son catch up. Jack will ask about the MacFarlanes, the government agents (Jack admits he would like to be a government man one day
), as well as other questions related to what John had been doing while he was away.
Eventually you'll reach MacFarlane's Ranch. In a cutscene Drew greets the pair at the ranch house. Drew will joke with John before gladly selling cattle to him. He says Bonnie is out in the corral to help him out. Ride over to Bonnie to trigger another cutscene. Bonnie can't believe John actually came back and says he'll be fine trying to start up his ranch again. They mount up.
Back to cattle herding
Take position behind the herd. John will tell Jack to lead them and Bonnie will offer to help get them off the ranch. Hopefully you haven't forgotten how to herd cattle but if you have, it's not complicated. Steer
the herd (pun intended) by riding along the opposite side you want the herd to go. Keep the herd together by zigzagging behind them and returning stragglers (dark blue cows on your radar turn light blue). Avoid obstacles when possible and use the "up" direction to make them move faster.
Simply point the herd towards the markers as they appear. Bonnie will catch up a little with John who also introduces Jack. Outside the ranch towards the left the herd will stop and you'll be forced to return any stragglers. Bonnie will give her farewells and you are allowed to move the herd again. Point them down to the right and across the river. Note:
a few cows may die from walking into deeper water. Using "up" can cause some cows to run off the shallow/narrow roadway but not always.
Here comes trouble
Once across the river continue moving the herd up the hill and past the Pacific Union Railroad Camp. When the area narrows you may notice some horsemen on the hill ahead. Eventually Jack will stop along railroad tracks as John tells him the men may be rustlers. Turns out he's right. The men are now enemies so kill them before they kill you or Jack. There are three small waves of three. When they are all dead return to Jack who says he is okay. Round up any stragglers if needed and get the herd moving again.
Move the cows up the hill and all the way into the ranch. Just inside the entrance you'll need to get all the stragglers returned to the main herd again. Note:
Again, using "up" can cause issues with narrow roads or entranceways to try not to use it right before. Move the cows into the pen and hitch your horse.
In the final cutscene John will tell Jack he did good and that he'll make a rancher of him yet.
- Notes: After this mission John will not be able to change clothing. The intro cutscene does not add time.
- Sprint to Jack and mount your horse.
- Sprint to MacFarlane's Ranch. Either follow the yellow highlighted path or you can cut a little time with the red dotted path above. This path takes you across the rail bridge but can pose a problem with Jack falling off. That can be prevented by looking back every few seconds to alter Jack's respawning when he gets too far behind.
- After talking with Drew, sprint to Bonnie.
- Get behind the herd and move it out. Use "up" to make them move faster once you get outside the pen. Use other tips above to keep them moving. Avoid the rocks just outside the ranch the best you can and catch stragglers early.
- After crossing the river and passing the railroad camp, keep the herd towards the left along the rock face and tracks.
- When you see the horsemen, sprint around the herd and shoot the enemies as soon as possible. You do not need headshots or accuracy but they help for time.
- Sprint back to Jack and round up any stragglers if needed before Jack gets to them. If there are no stragglers or Jack gets them, you can do a trick by forcing one or more to become stragglers while riding to Beecher's Hope. This is done by getting ahead of a cow and making the others go faster or running the herd into obstacles such as trees or rocks. Return as many as needed to get the percentage.
- With the herd moving into the pen, run over to the hitching post and hitch your horse when the game tells you to.
- Note: You should have plenty of time.
Abigail Marston | The Outlaw's Return > Pestilence