|Spare the Love, Spoil the Child
☸ GOLD MEDAL ☸
Fastest Time: 5:19
Shot Accuracy: 90%
Jack decides to go hunting on his own. Not the best idea for someone in his position.
+50 Fame, +150 Honor
Parents just don't understand
John admires the tree Jack loves to read under. As he looks up and lights a cigarette Uncle runs over breathing heavy. He says that Jack loved the hunting stories so much he ran off to hunt a grizzly bear that has been seen nearby. John gets angry and blames Uncle for not stopping him but Uncle pleads that he couldn't. Of course this doesn't stop John from continuing to blame him and runs off.
A different kind of hunt
Mount your horse and follow Rufus once again. He'll take you up to the river, through Tall Trees, and into the snowy region along the mountains. After stopping to sniff, Rufus will lead you onto another path leading up the mountainside to Nekoti Rock. There are a couple turns right on the edge of cliffs so be careful. You'll reach a small open area up top.
A cutscene shows John dismount and walk out. A bear is at the far end of the open area and Jack yells from a rock behind John. John tells him to get down as the bear charges. In control of John, kill the bear before it slices you open.
When the bear is dead, another cutscene has John berating Jack and telling him to get home. The boy reluctantly mounts up behind his father. Head down the path or take a peek in the cave at the far end. Past Jack's dead horse inside the cave is a chest containing money or something better if you have gone through the Treasure Hunter Challenge
Along the ride home Jack will continue to complain about his father belittling him. They'll go back and forth with childhood, rules, and life in general. John will tell Jack that he ain't goin' anywhere
and that trying to hunt a grizzly so soon was stupid. By the time you reach the ranch they will have reconciled. Reach the marker in Beecher's Hope to trigger the final cutscene.
Jack will dismount and say he's sorry. John tells him growing up isn't as fun as it seems and that he'll take Jack hunting for bears when he's ready. Jack runs off.
- Run to and mount your horse.
- Follow Rufus into the woods and towards the mountains.
- When Rufus starts sniffing at the intersection at the bottom of the mountain, run up the path ahead of him. Be careful not to fall off the mountain.
- Quickly Dead-Eye/headshot the bear. It will probably take two shots using a rifle. A shotgun seems to be a worse choice. Unfortunately a trusty throwing knife will not count for the accuracy.
- Sprint back home. Again, be careful on the small mountain path.
- Notes: There is a chest with money or better in the small cave behind the bear. This mission seems to have many glitches involving Jack's character model showing up around the ranch at the beginning and during cutscenes as a double to the Jack who is actually talking.
Wolves, Dogs and Sons < Spare the Love, Spoil the Child > The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed